Monday, April 13, 2009

Things That Bug Me

With all the rain we have had in the past two weeks, it's no surprise that we have seen a couple of "Palmetto Bugs" in the house. I have sprayed every room and all around the outside of the house but they still find a way to get in.

Saturday was a very busy day, I left home at 8 am headed to Athens and had gotten almost to I-75 near Jackson when my phone rang. It was Julie letting me know that my wallet and money was lying on the table. I would have discovered it anyway in five more minutes when I stopped for gas, there was nothing I could do except turn around and drive back home. It should have been an omen.

After walking around Sanford Stadium several times, taking over 250 pictures, attending the press conference, eating at both the Blind Pig and The Varsity, it was time to make the drive back to Thomaston.

It was late when I got in and I was still too hyped up to go to sleep so I downloaded all the pictures and worked on them until 2 am. It must have been closer to three before I finally went to sleep and everything was fine until around 6 am.

Just before daylight, I felt something run up my right leg. It woke me up in a hurry and I immediately took a swing at whatever it was.

I had no idea that I had been sleeping on my arm long enough for my right hand to go completely numb. If felt like I was swinging someone else's arm and it totally disrupted my aim, I hit myself squarely in the groin hard enough to nearly knock me completely out of the bed. As I doubled up in pain, I felt whatever it was run underneath my backside.

That was all it took, I have never jumped so high and so far out of a bed from a prone position in my life. I don't know who I scared the most, Julie or the bug. I still couldn't control my right arm and had to get back to the head of the bed to take another swat at the thing with my left one, by then Julie was headed out the back door.

I finally got the thing killed and in the dust pan. As I made my way to the back door to throw it out, I picked up the truck keys just in case I had to go up the street and bring Julie back. Luckily she had only made it to the mailbox and could still hear me.

Orkin will be here before noon.

No comments:

Post a Comment