Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Dancing With A Hot Water Heater

The little chore of replacing a worn out water heater turned into a major undertaking.

The house was built thirty years ago following a fire and the builder placed the water heater in a small hall closet. The location was not where I would have recommended since it is at the opposite end of the house from the kitchen but that was not the real problem. The door to the closet is 17 inches wide and the old water heater was 19 inches wide, it wouldn't come out.

I had to tear out all of the door frame and facing to get the darn thing out, then I had to replumb the new one since it was a different size. All of that took five trips to Home Depot to get supplies or tools, Mark in the plumbing department thinks that I'm building an entire subdivision. I just wonder what went through the builders mind when he framed in around the water heater and had to know that it wouldn't come out of there.

At least it did last for 30 years before the bottom rusted out.

We do have hot water now but I still have to rebuild the door. That's going to take at least 4 more Piggy Park Bar-B-Que deluxes to accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment